Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book 7 Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre, 5 towns on the north west coast of Italy. They are perched on the cliffs of the coastline, and people have cultivated the land and lived there for 1000 years! so hard to imagine lugging building and farming material up the steep hills, and by steep I mean really steep!!

 My little concertina book is double sided, the front showing the hills and villages of Riomaggiorre, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, Monterossa. I have used the brochure that had photos of the towns, so I cut them out and used the rest of the brochure as the book base. I covered the brochure with torn nice paper in the shape of the hills, and on the back I painted gesso over the whole thing. The rest of the imagery is painted with watercolour over watercolour pastels.




 and the back of the book shows the train that runs between them- mostly through a tunnel, and the walking track that many people walk along. Actually there are many walking tracks that explore the hills/mountains behind the villages but there is a main track that runs along the coastline - steep and thin and magnificent. This side of the book has been gessoed then I used a fineliner pen to draw and the map of the area became the train!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment